- This event has passed.
Future Streets 2020
ITS (UK) Members get a discount on attending this event.
For the discount, entering the code URBANFS2020 here offers your network £50 off the list price, making the ticket just £125 plus vat. It would also be great if you could add the details to your event calendar.
About the event
Hear Phil Goodwin re-open the debate around issues raised in his seminal report on ‘Disappearing Traffic’.
Says Prof Goodwin: Recognition that the volume of traffic is not immutable proved to be important then, and still is. The Traffic Impact of Highway Capacity Reductions: Assessment of the Evidence, is ripe for a second look as, from a policy point of view, the degree of traffic reduction it documented was sufficient to enable the implementation of a number of projects reallocating road capacity from cars or general traffic to pedestrians, public transport and cyclists. These interventions had often initially been resisted on the recurrent argument that ‘the network can’t cope’, yet are even more important today in order to improve accessibility, emissions, health and economic viability.
Issues will include:
- Non-vehicle accessibility: walking, cycling, micro-mobility, public transport
- Managing demand: ITS, traffic flows and vehicle restraint
- Dynamic allocation of street and kerb space, local freight hubs and first/last mile delivery options
- Understanding patterns of street use
- Supporting alternative social, commercial, and cultural activities
- Adapting to shared, electric, and autonomous transport technology