Commenting – Terms and Conditions
Why can't I post a comment?
If you are unable to comment, it may be that discussions for that particular item have been closed to new comments.
Why hasn't my comment appeared?
ITS-UK comments are entirely pre-moderated, meaning that all comments are checked by a moderator before they appear. If your comment does not appear, it may have been rejected by the moderators. ITS-UK will not provide users with any specific detail behind why a comment has been rejected. Reasons for rejection are outlined in the house rules.
What are the House Rules?
We've established the following House Rules so that everyone can get the most out of the ITS-UK website.
Please note that these rules apply to both comments and content associated with you such as your given names or avatar images.
Usernames may be failed if they...
• Contain website or email addresses
• Contain contact information (i.e. phone numbers, postcodes etc)
• Appear to impersonate someone else
• Contain swear words or are otherwise objectionable
We reserve the right to reject comments which...
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court.
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Appear to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Are written in anything other than English - Welsh and Gaelic may be used where expressly stated
• Contain links to other websites which break our Editorial Guidelines
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• Are considered to be "spam", that is posts containing the same, or similar, content posted multiple times
• Are considered to be off-topic for the discussion
Please take care when copying text from someone else's post into your own. If the text you have copied into your post is seen to break the house rules, your entire post will be removed.
What is moderation?
Comments are checked by a team of moderators to make the ITS-UK website a safe and enjoyable place to be, and ensure that they meet the house rules. Moderators do not post comments. Blog authors do not moderate the content of comments. They may alert the moderators to rule-breaking comments that they see in the course of their work. Moderation is necessary so all users can participate in online communities without fear of intimidation by other users or being subjected to offensive content.
How do you moderate comments?
Every single comment is checked before it appears on the ITS-UK website.
Is moderation done by humans or computers?
All moderation is done by human moderators. A comment is never failed without being read and reviewed by a human moderator. However, we have filters to prevent certain offensive words from being posted, or to detect comments using words which may indicate a breach of the house rules. These filters are only additional tools to help improve the efficiency of human moderation.
Why has my comment been removed when other comments that break the House Rules in a similar way are allowed to remain?
There will always be some grey areas when making moderation decisions. One moderator may fail a particular comment while another moderator might allow a similar comment to remain. While we take a lot of care to ensure fairness, occasional inconsistencies are inevitable in the moderation process.
Why was my comment rejected without any explanation?
ITS-UK will not provide users with any specific explanation behind why a comment has been ejected. Reasons for rejection are outlined in the house rules.
Can I appeal against a moderation decision?
ITS-UK view the decision to reject a comment as final, there is therefore no appeal process. ITS-
UK also reserve the right to reject previously approved comments if they are later found to have broken the house rules.
Can I make a general complaint about the standard of moderation on a service?
Yes, you can contact us at the ITS-UK email address found at the foot of the page.
ITS (UK) News
- 24/02/17 Technology Guide launched to benefit local authorities
- 07/12/16 ITS United Kingdom sets up Capabilities Working Group
- 30/11/16 Chief Scientific Adviser leads workshop for ITS United Kingdom young professionals
- 14/10/16 ITS World Congress celebrates innovation in the industry, awarding Transurban the annual Diversity Award